So Many Ways To Follow

IconIconIconIconFollow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Curried Sweet Potato Waffles



Have you ever gone out for a run and gotten so frustrated with your technology that you lose your groove?  I was trying to use a timer on my phone, okay no problem.  Except I had headphones on and it didn't beep into my ear.  The sound of the timer is somehow not going through the headphones, so every poor person around me has to listen to the beeping.  Ugh!  Not effective at all.  This had me stopping and starting at all the wrong times, paying too much attention to my phone, and thoroughly not enjoying my morning.  I finally just set the stopwatch and kept an eye on it.  Next time I will know to take my little timer that I can hold in my hand and have it vibrate when it's time to switch.

But, at the end of my run I saw my neighbor out walking her dog, so I turned and walked with them.  It will be sad when they sell their house.  They are such nice people.  We had a nice walk, even though the dog was being slow and smelling every single rock, bush and tree!   Dogs!!




I have a confession about this recipe.  It had me so frustrated I wanted to through it in the trash.  My favorite part of it was the Coconut Braised Kale.  The waffles would have been easier to make as hash browns.  Too messy for the waffle iron, in my opinion.  But, you give it a shot and let me know what you think.  Also, we are not fans of poached eggs, so fried eggs or over-easy would have been preferred at our dinner table.

Have a wonderful Tuesday.  I have the house to myself again!  I am so nervous about heading to visit my son next weekend.  What if it's super cold??  I am so not ready for it!  Luckily we still have our winter wardrobe (I did that since the kids are in such cool places).  Time to get out the wool sweaters and thick socks, fleece jackets and mittens!


Curried Sweet Potato Waffles 
(from Clean Eating)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut flour

Coconut Braised Kale

Olive oil cooking spray
1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup light coconut milk
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1 pound chopped kale, tough stems removed

Eggs

4 eggs for poaching

Directions

1. Mist a large nonstick Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat on medium-low.  Add sliced onion and cook for 4 minutes, until softened.  Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring for 30 seconds more, until fragrant.  Add milk and broth and increase heat to high.  As mixture come to a boil, add kale, a few handfuls at a time, stirring to combine.  Cover and reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, until kale is very tender.
2. Meanwhile, preheat waffle iron.  In a large bowl, combine potato, chopped onion, 1 egg and 2 egg whites.  Add curry, ginger and flour and mix.  Divide mixture evenly among 4 sections of waffle iron.  Close iron and cook for 12 minutes, until waffles are cooked through and crisp on the outside.
3. While waffles cook, fill a deep saute pan with water and bring to a boil.  Crack one egg and carefully drop into water; repeat with remaining three eggs in separate spots.  Cover, turn off heat, and let cook for 4 minutes.  Carefully remove each egg with a slotted spoon.  Divide waffles among plates, layer with kale and top with poached eggs.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for new ways to use the waffle iron. This is awesome.
    Followed you,over from the Super Bowl party. We'll have to have a NASCAR party in a few weeks. Thanks for coming to the party.

    Have a Super weekend!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete